Handbook

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Busy Week

Hi, Everyone!  It's been quite a busy week in first grade.  This week, the class has really built some good stamina during reader's workshop.  They are up to 13 minutes of read to self stamina, and 11 minutes each of work on writing (independent writing) and read with a partner. 

We looked at WHY we should re-read books The kids said "Books are fun!  We like to enjoy our favorite books again & again.  We learn more when we read a book more than once."  We also learned the difference between real reading and fake reading.
(I can't for the life of me figure out how to make this picture go the correct way, but I thought it was important to share with you.  I'm sorry.)
 

Next week will be an exciting one!  We will be preparing for the Spell-A-Thon spelling test on Friday!  In first grade, we have two lists.  After giving a pre-test of the T1 words, we determined who needed to work on the T1 sight words or were ready for the T2 words.  Here are the two word lists:


We will also begin our weekly spelling tests.  Spelling tests will only be given on weeks that have 4-5 school days.  Shorter weeks, we will still study & learn the words, but we will not have a test.  For your reference, here is another copy of this week's words, along with a sample spelling test page.

In writer's workshop, the children have been writing small moment stories.  These are stories that really happened to the first graders.  The focus has been on creating one time, one place stories.  We have had several stories about playing at the parks around Grafton, our first fire drill of the year, and other activities families did over the summer.  As you are doing different things with your children, please help them realize they might be able to turn it into a story.  

I hate to ask for more items, but I neglected to ask for baby wipes on our supply list.  If you are able to donate any baby wipes refill packs I appreciate it.  Please check the labels for peanut / nut ingredients.  Recently there have been a few brands that have these ingredients and they will not be able to be brought into my classroom.  

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend with their children!  

No comments:

Post a Comment