In math, I'm trying to help the children think deeply about how numbers work. A couple of days ago, I told the children, "The answer is 10, what is the problem?" I was so impressed by this first one. A detailed story, number sentences illustrating his story, and an illustration! Keep up the great work! The stories were all different and we had an opportunity to discuss how the stories were the same and different.
This first grader is busy showing us 1 way to make 5. Being able to illustrate how a number is composed is a big part of building number sense in the new Common Core State Standards.
I discovered a new app that the kids have had a lot of fun with. It's called Motion Math Hungry Fish. The hungry fish will only eat a given number. By combining the bubbles the children are able to feed the hungry fish. I love this one because I can set the difficulty of the problems for each individual child, has many levels of play, and can be upgraded to include subtraction and negative number levels.
Click on the link below to go to go to the iTunes store to check it out for yourself!
I have been reviewing the silent e at the end of a word with the children. Knowing long vowel spelling patterns will help the first graders strengthen their decoding skills. Ask your first grader about Super e! Then view the link below together as a fun way to review this concept at home.



No comments:
Post a Comment