Handbook

Friday, November 22, 2013

Weekly Update

We did a lot of learning this past week.  I haven't been feeling the best, so I apologize for the lack of photographs I've had the last couple of weeks.  Here are some highlights from the week:

Reading:
Someone asked me why we read so much, so we made the following chart:

Then I talked about kids who practice reading a lot will be great readers as adults.  Like I'm sure Aaron Rodgers practiced football a lot as a kid and now he's a great football player!  That really shocked a few of my students that I know anything about football!  

Math:  In math we have been learning the words volume and capacity.  There have been many hands-on opportunities to explore these measurement ideas.  Next week we will focus on learning more addition and subtraction strategies.

Social Studies:
To continue our learning in our Long Ago & Today unit, the children have spent a lot of time watching Brainpop, Jr. videos on George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr.  There has been a lot of discussion about the passage of time during this unit and the fact that these men didn't know one another.  

Can you believe it's almost December?  If you are looking for stocking stuffer ideas, many of the children would benefit from a new box of crayons or some new markers!  An extra pair of gloves always come in handy once we're playing outside in the cold a lot during the winter, too.

I need a couple of my volunteers to help out with book repairs and making the family holiday gift.  If you're interested in helping with either of these things please let me know and we can arrange a time for you to come in.  Book repairs can either be done in the classroom or I can send that home with someone.  I'll probably need 2 people to help with the gift making.  Thank you in advance!

Word work for next week will not be tested, but the children are still expected to learn these spelling patterns and high frequency words.
Click HERE to make a copy.


Dates to remember:
10/25 Mrs. Korb will be my sub.  I'll be working out of the district office for the day.
10/28 & 10/29  No School - Happy Thanksgiving!
12/2  PTG Meeting
12/4 Student Council popcorn sale during lunch
12/6 Report Cards posted to Skyward
12/12 Field trip to Milwaukee Art Museum
12/20  Holiday Sing at the Grafton High School - everyone is welcome to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment